Saturday, May 5, 2018

World Labyrinth Day 2018

Today is World Labyrinth Day--the 10th annual World Labyrinth Day.  This website encourages us to walk at 1:00 for world peace:  "walk as one at 1 p.m."  Even if we can't walk at 1 p.m. in our time zone, it will be 1:00 p.m. somewhere.




I plan to head over to the church near me that has a small labyrinth.  I've been meaning to walk it for years.  Today will be a good day to do that, to remember all the labyrinths I've walked.



I feel a small stab of sadness--once I yearned to have a labyrinth near me.  Now I do, and I don't walk it.



It's one of many spiritual practices I've moved away from--although I'm still happy to come across a labyrinth and walk it.  That's one of the benefits of a spiritual practice:  it's still there, waiting for us, a sign to point us back to what's essential.



I'm surprised by how often I've written about labyrinths, but I probably shouldn't be.  It's a practice that I've always loved, and that I've experienced in a multitude of ways and approaches.




Today, I give thanks for these labyrinths, in both likely and unlikely places.

No comments: