Thursday, June 8, 2017

Trinity Sunday Meditation with Photos

This blog will be quiet for a few days while I go up to Mepkin Abbey (don't come burgle my house--my spouse will be holding down the South Florida fort).  Let me post some reflections and photos as Holy Trinity Sunday approaches.




In many writing classes and workshops, I taught about the power of three--three main points can make a solid essay, while just one or two might mean you have an incomplete idea.



In Geometry, we learn about the stability of the triangle.



In community organizing, we learn the truth of the Margaret Mead quote:  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”



We see this same dynamic in our triune God.  I know that many Christians think of the Trinity as the central mystery of our faith, but it's never seemed as difficult to me as other aspects of theology. 

Triune God in 2 plants and wind chime

Some of us might think about changing the traditional language of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.  What words would make more sense?  I prefer Creator, Son, and Holy Spirit.  There are so many elements that we could stress.




Perhaps the words of Walt Whitman make sense to invoke here, that line about containing multitudes.

No comments: