Monday, February 20, 2017

More Thoughts on Meekness

Our pastor occasionally shares the sermon space with lay leadership.  A few days before Sunday, he asked me if I'd like to share some additional thoughts on the part of the Beatitudes for the day:  "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth."

I told him what I would say, that I would likely be somewhat political and talk about Archbishop Romero and the ordinary Civil Rights workers of the 1950's and 60's.  He said that was fine.

So, that was what I did.  I talked about Romero who was chosen to be Archbishop because the Pope's people thought he would not cause trouble--in short, that he would be meek.  But then he went on to champion the poor, who were being brutalized by both the government and the rebel groups.

And then he was killed.  I reminded us all that we may pay that price.

I talked about the Civil Rights workers, many of whom were not eloquent like Martin Luther King.  I said that being meek doesn't mean that we don't get off the sofa.

And I reminded us all that there are many ways to contribute.  If we're not comfortable marching, we can pick up some food for the food pantry each time we grocery shop.  I had Epiphany on the brain, having just blogged about the Epiphany stars, and I talked about how we needed to be the light that the world needed--as we move from the end of the season of Epiphany, as we prepare to move into Lent.

Hard to believe how February has just zoomed right by--Ash Wednesday is just around the corner.

No comments: