Saturday, August 4, 2012

May We Feast on Milk and Honey

I've been privilaged to be one of the writers for Augsburg Fortress' Bread for the Day, a daily devotional book.  I first started with the 2012 edition.

The editor sent me the material for each day, what would appear in the book, and I wrote a prayer for each day.  I particularly like the prayer I wrote for this day's reading.

Here's what I was sent:

Exodus 13:3-10


The festival of unleavened bread

Moses said to the people, “Remember this day on which you came out of Egypt, out of the house of slavery, because the LORD brought you out from there by strength of hand; no leavened bread shall be eaten. Today, in the month of Abib, you are going out. When the LORD brings you into the land of the Canaanites, the Hittites, the Amorites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites, which he swore to your ancestors to give you, a land flowing with milk and honey, you shall keep this observance in this month. Seven days you shall eat unleavened bread, and on the seventh day there shall be a festival to the LORD.” (Exodus 13:3-6)

Matthew 16:5-12

Bread as a sign of other things

Psalm 78:23-29

Manna rains down

Hymn: Bless Now, O God, the Journey, ELW 326

Here is the prayer I wrote:

Oh God, you brought your people out of Egypt and rescued them from slavery.  Throughout history, you have liberated the oppressed by the strength of your hand.  Remind us of our enslavements and unlock our shackles, so that we, too, may dine on milk and honey.

2 comments:

Beth A Lewis said...

Thank you for assisting us with creating Bread for the Day, our lovely daily devotional book that is updated annually. Blessings, Beth Lewis, President & CEO, Augsburg Fortress ceo@augsburgfortress.org http://twitter.com/bethalewis

Kristin Berkey-Abbott said...

It was my pleasure--one of my favorite writing projects!