Sunday, November 27, 2011

2011 Advent Art Project #1: The Tropical Advent Wreath


I know that the Advent wreath tradition is to have evergreen/pine boughs--so I decided to play with the theme.  Each week, I may add additional tropical elements.  Although if later weeks are like this week, I may run into trouble.  My palm trees are not nearly as much in need of cutting back at this time of year as they are in the summer.



Here's the view from the top.  I kind of like the mix of palms, which I associate with Holy Week, with the Advent elements.  I was thinking strictly in terms of tropical greenery.  It wasn't until I was cutting that I said to myself, "I remember doing this prior to Easter for Palm Sunday."

It is the start of Advent, where we turn our eyes to the manger--and to the end of the story, in so many ways.  Ah, Advent, with its apocalyptic texts, its watching and waiting.  Light the first candle and contemplate!

No comments: